Why You should Take Your Medications as Prescribed
Taking medications as prescribed can help you maintain or improve your health. Whether you are taking one or multiple medications, it is important to follow the directions of your doctor or pharmacist.
What are the benefits of taking your medications as prescribed?
- It helps your medicine do what it is intended to do. Every medication has a purpose and is prescribed for a reason. Some help prevent and treat disease, while others ease symptoms or relieve pain. When taken correctly, medications can work very well. Because medicine is complex and does not work the same way for everyone, you need help from a medical professional. Doctors and pharmacists understand what will work best for your specific situation. They will know what medicine you need and how much you should take. They will know how it should be taken so that it works properly.
- Reduces the risk of dangerous and unpleasant side effects. When medication is taken the wrong way, it has the potential to make you sick. Your risk for becoming ill or needing to go to the hospital goes up with the more prescriptions you have. For your safety, your doctor and pharmacist should always know which prescription and non-prescription medications you take. This will help them ensure they are prescribing the right medication at the right doses. It also allows them to provide advice on how to take them safely.
- Simplifies your medication routine. Managing an illness or chronic condition can be stressful. Following the directions of your doctor or pharmacist will give you one less thing to worry about. You can rest assured they have your health and safety in mind.Some pharmacies offer services that make it easier to manage your medications. They can align your refills so you get your all prescriptions on the same day every month. They can also pre-sort and package your pills by day and time. Getting your pills this way helps prevent mistakes and provides peace of mind for many people.
What should you do if you are having trouble taking your medications as prescribed?
Sometimes it can be difficult to keep up with it all. At times, you may run into challenges, such as:
- Not being able to pick up your prescriptions on time
- Being forgetful due to your condition
- Feeling better and thinking you don’t need your medication anymore
- Having a side effect that makes you feel bad
Whatever your reason, make sure to talk to your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible. They will go over your options with you and help find the right path forward.